FastSqlServer.com - SQL Server Consulting - Performance Consultant
Go fast in days, not weeks!
SQL Server Performance you need to succeed.
SQL Server 2017 / 2016 / 2014 / 2012 R2 / 2008 R2 / 2005 / 2000 / ASP.NET / C# / Azure
can make your applications run faster:
Measure > Analyze > Improve.
20 years of SQL Server performance consulting experience.
The list of SQL Server performance killers
I provide fast solutions to problems you will encounter.
Gary: "Chris, all I can say is WOW!!!! Customers I spoke with today are amazed how fast everything feels."
Andrew: "Our SQL looks awesome now, the CPU utilization... It's down to 20%."
Tony: "The speed and performance increases are literally jaw-dropping."
Chris: "Awesome. You saved us thousands of dollars and a lot of man hours."
Andy: "Honestly, I've never seen the site run this fast...absolutely amazing. My team is amazed."
Thomas: "Thank you so much for helping us and guiding us so our SQLserver spins like a Formula one racing car."
Why SQL query optimization is hard - David DeWitt - Microsoft Jim Gray Systems Lab
Chris Dickey finds and eliminates the true SQL Server performance killers causing pain!
- I measure your SQL Server performance. I eliminate your problems fast.
- Tools I use: SQL Profiler, DMV's, XEvents, Perfmon, brain power and proven solutions.
- Take advantage of my pro experience with SQL Server 2017, 2016, 2014, 2012 R2, 2008 R2, 2005 ...
- Columnstore indexes can dramatically speed up queries in SQL Server 2017 and 2016
- Use Always On for redundancy and read only secondaries.
I learn the latest news by attending the SQLPASS
My SQL Server background and training
FYI: A user defined scalar function in a query limits it to 1 cpu - no parallel plan
FYI: option(recompile) does a lot more than most people realize
FYI: With lots of RAM a parallel plan with a bitmap filter can provide great performance.
FYI: Extended Event bug - can crash SQL Server -
fixed in 2014 CU5, 2012 SP2 CU3
FYI: SQL Server 2008 SP2, 2008 R2 SP1 re-instated query plan pruning optimization using option(recompile).
What might be causing high CPU levels and long durations on your system?
- 1. Index problems causing table and index scans in RAM -> High CPU usage
- 2. Bad estimates causing hash joins of tables and index scans
- 3. Stored procedure stuck on the wrong query plan
- 4. Local variables causing costly query execution
- 5. Excessive T-SQL function execution in a WHERE clause
- 6. Data type mismatches causing index scans or worse
- 7. Large intermediate result sets because of a bad query plan
- 8. Too many recompiles burning up CPU and causing long durations
- 9. Excessive scans of table variables in loop joins
- 10. T-SQL string processing to handle arrays of data
- 11. SQL optimizer doesn't know data is on SSD or in large RAM
- ... You get the idea. A long list of possibilities requiring human brainpower to fix!
View the FastSqlServer Client List
Get the Fast SQL Server you are chasing after - in days, not months - give me a phone call!
SQL Server runs fast with expert tuning.
Don't settle for guesses you find on Internet web sites.
I provide accurate answers that target the true causes of sql server slowdowns.
Why waste money on hardware, tool gimmicks or more DBA's you don't need?
Faster SQL Servers have increased business and lowered costs for my clients.
Don't postpone performance ills with hardware pills.
Contact FastSqlServer today!
SQL Server 2016, 2014, 2012 and 2008 still require index and T-SQL adjustments driven by brainpower to run at top speed.
- 1. Evidence is gathered from your production systems using SQL Server Profiler and DMVs.
- 2. Root causes of problems are determined using brainpower to analyze performance data and query plans.
- 3. SQL Server runs 2 to 10 times faster with expert solutions based on proven real world experience.
You can do a lot better without spending more money on RAM, CPUs or tools.
will tell you.
SQL Server can deliver data extremely fast.
When SQL Server runs at top speed, your business efficiency and profits increase.
Don't waste time and money searching for answers in T-SQL, ASP, ASP.NET, Cold Fusion or client side application code.
I will quickly find the true causes of why your system is slow and prioritize effective solutions.
I use techniques that work from years of real world experience.
Don't settle for less.
Don't suffer because SQL Server isn't delivering data fast:
1. Do complaints about time-out errors keep you busy doing the wrong things?
2. Are your customers and employees frustrated with slow web pages caused by slow T-SQL?
3. Does your tech staff know what needs to be fixed first to get the most bang for the buck?
I supply the missing expert tuning skills to make SQL Server run at top speed.
Effective indexes and minimal T-SQL code changes are used to speed up your system.
Advanced tuning skills are required to make SQL Server run fast and stable.
It is not automatic yet.
The causes of slowdowns, timeouts, high CPU, high disk I/O, blocking and deadlocks are accurately identified using Profiler, Query Analyzer and recent SQL Server tools such as Dynamic Management Views.
Hire an expert for fast results.
Example: You have a slow query caused by an index scan problem.
CPU usage is high but disk I/O is low.
Buying more RAM won't speed up the query because the index is already cached in RAM.
Faster CPU's might speed up the query by a factor of 2X with a faster index scan in RAM.
With expert tuning you can eliminate the index scan to run the query 10 times faster.
How can SQL Server run faster?
Better indexes solve performance problems with no application changes.
Systems go FAST with the right mix of multi-column indexes.
Complex queries run slow if high cost execution plans are used because of wrong optimizer estimates.
Index improvements and minor T-SQL rewrites solve those problems.
Application T-SQL code problems cause timeouts: data type mismatches, SQL Server functions used wrong, table variables, COALESCE in WHERE clauses, long duration locks, etc.
My bag of tricks to eliminate those problems has been proven to work by years of speeding up SQL Server systems for my clients
Sample improvement in CPU: before and after
Find out how little it takes to speed up SQL Server a lot!
I have tuned SQL Server to run fast for a lot of diverse businesses across the USA - View list of clients.
Is CPU utilization hitting the roof?
Are disk I/O levels rising?
Do you have problems with blocking, timeouts or deadlocks?
Are you going to spend money on faster hardware?
Give the expert tuning approach a shot at solving your problems.
It only takes a few days of my time and minor changes to get the fast SQL Server system you are looking for.
Go fast with SQL Server 2017 and 2016 performance features
- Updatable non-clustered Columnstore Indexes
- More use of Batch vs Row mode when Columnstore is used
- Combine non-clustered indexes with clustered Columnstore indexes
- Readable Columnstore indexes in readable AG secondaries - a big deal
- Many Columnstore index performance improvements
- Many In-Memory table improvements
- Lower latency for AlwaysOn Availability Group replication
Go fast with SQL Server 2014 performance features
- Clustered Columnstore indexes - fast analytics queries
- Buffer Pool Extension - extends RAM cache to fast SSD
- Enhanced online indexing - varchar(max) - WAIT_AT_LOW_PRIORITY
- New cardinality estimator - good and bad
- In-Memory tables - no locks, hash index
- AlwaysOn Availability Groups for availability and reporting servers
Go fast with SQL Server 2012 performance features
- Window Function Enhancements - faster aggregate computations
- Showplan Enhancements - more performance details of execution plans
- Columnstore Indexes - high speed queries for read only data
- Increased Extended Event Capabilities - many more events
Go fast with SQL Server 2008 performance features
- Data Compression - Row and Page compression reduce disk I/O speeding up scans
- Backup Compression - Backup sizes up to 1/5 as large and much faster
- OPTION(RECOMPILE) - Enhanced parameter embedding optimization as of SQL Server 2008 SP1 CU5
- MERGE T-SQL Statement - Perform Insert/Update/Delete in a single T-SQL statment
- Table Valued Parameters - Efficiently pass an array of data to SQL Server
- Integrated Full Text Search - Solves issues with queries mixing CONTAINS and other WHERE conditions
- XEvents - A new tool to monitor performance at a more detailed level
- Star Join Query Optimization - The optimizer now improves performance of this common query pattern
- Grouping Sets - Define multiple groupings in a single T-SQL statement to reduce table scans
- HierarchyID Data Type - Search tree structured data faster with this new data type
- DATE Data Type - More efficient queries are possible using the new DATE data type
- FILESTREAM Data - Store very large data blobs more efficiently directly on the file system
- Partitioned Table Parallelism - Improved multi-cpu performance for queries processing multiple partitions
- Spatial Data Type - Fast responses for spatial data queries such as "Which stores are near my location?"
Go fast with SQL Server 2005 performance features
- Fewer recompiles - Query plans in stored procedures are now maintained per SQL statement.
- Index INCLUDE columns - A great 2005 feature to speed up many more high read queries.
- Dynamic Management Views - Detailed performance data to make your system run fast.
- 64 bit - Break the RAM barrier - Standard and Enterprise editions: 8GB, 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, 128GB.
- New Profiler and graphical query plan features - Great tools to solve problems faster.
- New Profiler deadlock details and blocked process reports - Find the root causes fast.
- On-Line index builds - Add and rebuild indexes without downtime to solve problems fast.
- Database Mirroring - Maintain an up-to-date standy server for fast disaster recovery.
- Plan Guides - Fix problem queries with hints but without having to modify T-SQL
- Tranisitive relationships - Query plans take advantage of transitive column relationships.
- C# and VB.NET - Replace CPU intensive T-SQL processing with faster .NET CLR code
- Table and index partitioning - Partition historical data for top performance.
- Newsequentialid() - Generate GUIDs that don't fragment clustered indexes.
- Want more? I use a long list of useful 2005 performance features to solve your problems.
Most IT managers are skeptical of SQL Server performance improvement claims.
FastSqlServer clients have seen their applications run fast first hand! Those IT managers got the positive impact for their daily business operations. Developers were happy to see their software running at top speed.
Give me a phone call for references. Talk to management and technical people who have witnessed dramatic increases in the speed of SQL Server and their business systems.
Start on the road to fast SQL Server performance today.
What is a main cause of slow web sites and information systems?
Contact Chris Dickey: info@FastSqlServer.com
24 Years of SQL Server Experience
Database servers running slower than they should - much slower. Why so slow?
Most SQL Server systems already have more than adequate hardware.
The true bottlenecks deserving attention are high I/O levels because of inadequate indexing and high cost query plans caused by poor query optimizer estimates. Too many hash joins and recompiles can also contribute to high CPU forcing long durations, blocking and deadlocks.
Speed up your system by speeding up the few queries chewing up the majority of your system's resources.
Call FastSqlServer today. Get the fast results you need!
- San Diego,California
- Performance Tuning Successes
- Tuning Books
Playing a Les Paul electric guitar for a change of pace